Patient education involves healthcare professionals teaching patients about their health and choices of treatment, so they may better understand their condition. Patients can be educated in health or non-health environments, and in a formal or non-formal manner. The overall aim of patient education is to improve individual health as well as enhance the performance of the healthcare industry.
- What your patient needs to do and why
- When your patient can expect results (if applicable)
- Warning signs (if any) your patient should watch for
- What your patient should do if a problem occurs
- Who your patient should contact for questions or concerns
People are healthiest when:
- They want to care for themselves.
- They have the facilities to care for themselves, including well-trained, effective health personnel.
- They know how to care for themselves.
- They care for themselves.